Declaration of the II Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Education: Brasilia Declaration
Brasilia, March 2, 2015
- In line with the mandate of the Fortaleza Declaration and Action Plan, adopted at the Sixth BRICS Summit held in Fortaleza, Brazil, we, the Ministers of Education and assigned representatives of the Federative Republic of Brazil, the People's Republic of China, the Republic of India, the Russian Federation and the Republic of South Africa, met in Brasilia, Brazil, on March 2nd, 2015, to discuss and coordinate positions in areas of mutual interest and guidelines for future cooperation in education within the framework of BRICS.
- We stress the paramount importance of the development of joint methodologies for education indicators to support decision making in BRICS member states and we commit ourselves to collaborate and provide technical support to the National Institutes of Statistics in this task.
- We recognize that the indicators for the post-2015 agenda should be based primarily on national assessments, administrative data and national household surveys instead of extension of existing international surveys. We emphasize that all indicators should be capable of measuring equity, inclusion and quality improvements in our education system.
- We also recognize the significance of sharing best practices in terms of assessing learning outcomes and how to report them in order to be useful for policy makers, teachers and schools.
- We acknowledge that vocational and technical education addresses the challenge of integrating young people to the labour market and plays a critical role in preparing skilled workforce needed by the modern world.
- We agree to create a working group to develop a report on the state of vocational and technical education and share concepts, methods and instruments of analysis to match demands and supply of vocational and technical education in each country.
- Brazil invites BRICS member states to participate on the 3rd International Forum of Professional Education, to be held in Recife, Brazil, on May 2015.
- We consider higher education and research is a priority. Considering that BRICS member states have intensified their internationalization processes of higher education and academic mobility, we put special emphasis on mobility in graduate school, with its capability of establishing networks of researchers and developing joint projects in areas of mutual interest.
- We support the initiative of a BRICS University League (association of BRICS universities) and the establishment of a working group to work out the modalities of a BRICS Network University.
- We agree on the need for further expert discussions and to organize regular meetings of experts, at FAUBAI Conference, Brazil, from April 25th to 29th, 2015, at Saint Petersburg conference, Russian Federation, from May 14th and 15th, and the BRICS Universities Rectors Forum in Beijing, China, in October.
- We decide that each BRICS member state shall nominate a coordinator for educational matter.
- In pursuit of cooperation in the abovementioned areas, we agree to build upon existing bilateral synergies and other forms of multi-country frameworks of cooperation amongst the BRICS member states.
- We recognize the importance of exchanging experience and best practices in education and consider it the pillar of cooperation amongst the Ministries of Education of BRICS member states.
- We reaffirm the commitment of ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all, and working towards sustainable development and inclusive growth, in line with the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
- China, India, Russia and South Africa extend their warm appreciation to the Government of Brazil for hosting the II Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Education.
Done in English language, in five copies, each copy being equally authentic, on March 2nd 2015, in Brasilia, Brazil.
Source: Ministry of External Relations of Brazil
[back to top]