BRICS Information Centre
Working Procedures for Agricultural Cooperation Working Group of BRICS Countries
Chengdu, China, October 30, 2011
BRICS Countries decide to establish an agricultural cooperation working group mechanism at Director-General level (hereinafter referred to as ACWG - Agricultural Cooperation Working Group) in accordance with Moscow Declaration adopted at the first Meeting of BRIC Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development convened in March 2010, to serve as the operating body for the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development, with the aim of promoting pragmatic cooperation in the field of agriculture among BRICS Countries. Its basic functions, missions, composition, working modalities and other related matters are defined as follows:
I. Basic Functions and Missions
1. To make recommendations on how to strengthen agricultural cooperation among BRICS countries, and submit to the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development for approval;
2. To map out measures for the implementation of the action plan adopted by the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development, and report to the Meeting on progress of implementation;
3. To prepare for the convening of the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development.
II. Composition and Working Modalities
4. ACWG is set up by all BRICS countries, which is made up of representatives at DG level or below and headed by an official at DG or equivalent level;
5. Each BRICS country shall designate a focal point for ACWG, who is responsible for contact with other BRICS countries;
6. The main working modality is ACWG meeting, while other forms such as telephone communication and exchange of letters are also needed for mutual collaborations;
7. The working language of ACWG is English, and simultaneous interpretation may be provided if necessary by the hosting country;
8. Expert panel may be established upon consensus, per need of cooperation assignment, to complete specific tasks.
III. Working Group Meeting
9. The ACWG meeting is held annually in principle on a rotating basis among BRICS countries within their respective territory;
10. Organizing country of the ACWG meeting shall inform other BRICS countries of the venue, date and agenda of the meeting at least half a year in advance via the focal point, and ask for comments. The other BRICS countries shall feed back within 30 days;
11. Organizing country shall preside over the ACWG meeting, prepare relevant documents and draft the Minutes;
12. Issues discussed at the ACWG meeting shall be written into the Minutes on a consensus basis;
13. The Minutes shall be done in English, and be signed by those who act on behalf of each participating BRICS countries;
14. The organizing country for the next ACWG meeting shall be decided by the ACWG meeting upon discussion;
15. The ACWG meeting shall propose suggestions to the BRICS Meeting of Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development on the amendments of its Working Procedure.
16. The organizing country shall bear expenses for all necessary documents, venues, equipment and local transportation needed for the ACWG meeting, as well as board and lodging for not less than two members of each delegation;
17. International travel expenses of the participants shall be covered by the sending party.
V. Entry into Force and Amendment
18. The Procedures shall enter into force on the date of approval by the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development;
19. The Procedures may be modified and (or) supplemented upon approval by the Meeting of BRICS Ministers of Agriculture and Agrarian Development.
Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation